Will Smith reportedly backed out of the iconic hip-hop tribute that rocked the 2023 Grammys stage.
Ahead of Sunday's (February 5) show, Questlove said Smith was supposed to be a part of the tribute, which celebrated the 50th anniversary of hip-hop, but dropped due to the production schedule of Bad Boys 4.
“I’ll give the spoiler alert away. Will Smith was a part of the festivities tonight, but they started shooting ‘Bad Boys 4’ this week,” Questlove told Variety on the Grammys red carpet. “There were a lot of preliminary shots that he had to do, so we had to lose Will.”
Questlove noted that he knew it would've been "a shot in the dark" to get Smith to do the tribute since he's “always shooting movies.” The Academy award winner went on to say the hip-hop celebration included "a lot of people" with "other jobs,” adding that Ice-T, Queen Latifah, and L.L. Cool J had to “leave their respective shows” to join the tribute.
Smith announced earlier this week with co-star Martin Lawrence that a fourth installment of Bad Boys was coming to the big screen.
Back in March of last year, Smith slapped Chris Rock on stage at the Oscars right before Questlove won the Academy Award for Best Documentary with Summer of Soul.
The Black Information Network is your source for Black News! Get the latest news 24/7 on The Black Information Network. Listen now on the iHeartRadio app or click HERE to tune in live.